FUPOL is funded under objective 5.6 of the FP7 work program aiming at ICT solutions for governance and policy modeling. The objective targets research focusing on development of advanced ICT tools for policy modeling, prediction of policy impacts, development of a new governance models and collaborative solving of complex societal problems.
Based on the above the FUPOL consortium has elaborated a comprehensive approach to further advance the research and development in simulation, policy process modeling, semantic analysis and visualization. The scientific approach is based on complexity science. It aims at reducing the complexity through a comprehensive policy spiral design lifecycle approach deemed appropriate for complex societal problems.
Building on the current political environment and the public sector collective data, it will enable all stakeholders to better forecast and understand future trends. While the approach and the technologies itself are generic and can be used in any policy domain, the project will focus on urban policy challenges since the majority of the world´s population is living in urban areas.
The FUPOL project will generate a lot of benefits for governments, citizens and businesses alike:
- Politicians can get a better understanding of the needs of citizen and businesses.
- Direct, better feedback from all political stakeholders through multichannel social network based communication between politicians and citizens
- Improved prediction of impacts of policy measures leading to more efficient implementation of government policies
- Better decisions through forecasting of the potential impact of political decisions
- Increased engagement of citizens and wider use of ICT tools resulting in higher potential of innovation concerning interaction of citizens with the government.
Intelligent Visualizations in FUPOL
Researchers of the Competence Centre Information Visualization and Visual Analytics analyze and develop in FUPOL innovative solutions for the graphical representation of heterogeneous political impact factors. Thereby technologies will be developed which support the decision-making process using several sources of information, e.g. statistical data, social networks or regulatory and legal conditions, to support both, the adequate processes and their impacts. The research focuses on the development of a framework for the semantics visualization of the whole policy lifecycle, based on the SemaVis technology.
Summary to the Policy Modelling results: www.policymodelling.com
Further information about FUPOL: www.fupol.eu